Look out for my mosaic toad (commissioned by the Architecture Research Centre) in Hull's Museum Quarter (Hull and East Riding Museum, 36 High Street, Hull HU1 1NQ) which formed part of the Larkin25 festival (www.larkin25.co.uk) celebrating the poet's poem 'Toads'.
My 3d mosaic moth ‘Aspire’ was commissioned by the NHS Commissioning Group for the Amy Johnson Festival and can be seen inside Bransholme South Health Centre, Goodhart Road, Bransholme , Kingston Upon Hull, HU7 4DW from 1 July 2016 until 31 March 2017.
Mosaic commission 'Larkin 25' mosaic toad by Sue Kershaw
The BBC featured an example of one of my commissioned mosaics for Fentimans Botainicals Drinks on the Great British Railway Journeys by Michael Portillo during a visit to Hexham. The mosaic of the company logo can be seen below.
Fentimans mosaic commission, Hexham, Northumberland
Hull City of Culture 2017 mosaic commission
I have recently been working on a Hull City of Culture 2017 collaborative project with the British Association of Modern Mosaics (BAMM) North Region funded by the Big Lottery Fund in which over 130 mosaic birds were created by the artists and community - installed in the foyer to the railway station from September 2017 for a year. I was lucky to have worked with children and families from Wansbeck Primary School during two workshops where we created approximately 20 birds.
HOW TO COMMISSION A MOSAIC
Hull City of Culture 2017 'Fly to Freedom' mosaic commission
A mosaic commission usually begins with a discussion with a client regarding where they would like a mosaic to feature, mosaic size, ideas for a design & colour scheme, mosaic materials, timescales and finally a budget. Full guidance is provided throughout.
Once these initial ideas have been considered and agreed I would draw an initial design (or use one provided by the client) and email or mail a photograph to the client. Amendments to the initial design are made as requested. Once the design has been approved a payment of 50% of the cost of the completed mosaic is requested.
The mosaic is then created by myself or with clients (if forming part of a project). When the mosaic is completed the mosaic is despatched or delivered (as agreed) with fixtures and fittings and installed (or instruction provided for installation, as initially agreed) by the date set. The remainder of the cost of the mosaic is paid by the client at this point.
Commissioning a mosaic is simple and adds a unique and special addition to any environment (indoors and out). Mosaics look great in a garden, bathroom, kitchen, hallway and conservatory. A mosaic commission for a restaurant, hotel or company logo can really make a powerful statement of 'we're well established and here to stay' - just as the Romans did!
If you would like to discuss a mosaic commission please send an email using the 'contact us' button or call 07929 884759.
MY MOSAIC COMMISSIONS HAVE INCLUDED:
•the public sector (for eg British Heart Foundation; York University; York District Hospital as part of the Paintings in Hospitals scheme; NHS Hull; Trafford Macmillan Care Centre; Hull and East Yorkshire MIND; Action for Children; and, ARC - Architecture Research Centre)
•commercial sector (for eg, White & Case LLP, London; Fentimans Botanical Drinks Ltd, Hexham; James Hardie international; The Rattle Owl Restaurant, York; Marco Polo Restaurant, Driffield; and, The Lemon Tree Restaurant, Kirkbymoorside). Images of my mosaics have been used in an advertising campaign by international legal firm White & Case. My mosaics have featured in trade show stalls in London.
•private homes in the UK and abroad (for eg as wall art, bathroom features, floor mosaics in conservatories and applied art such as lamps, picture frames & mirrors)
•ecclesiastical buildings (for eg Christ Church, York and Woodlands Methodist Church, Harrogate)
As a qualified Community Artworker (having trained with Artlink, Hull) I am available for consultation and facilitation of public community art projects. Projects include mosaic commissions in London, Hull, York, Leeds, Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Burton upon Trent, Bradford and Romford.
COMMUNITY MOSAIC COMMISSIONS
WHAT I DO
- Initiate mosaic projects within the community, source funding and complete projects
- Collaborate with organisations to facilitate and complete community mosaics
- Provide fun and educational mosaic workshops with a diverse range of client groups
CHARITIES, COMMUNITIES, LOCAL AUTHORITIES & THIRD SECTOR ORGANISATIONS I HAVE COLLABORATED WITH INCLUDE
- a floor mosaic and sun dial with mental health clients in NHS Humber Centre hospital
- a mosaic fountain and mosaic wall murals in a medium secure prison with prisoners
- wall mosaic with Macmillan cancer patients
- 3d mosaic toad in Hull
- mosaic respite workshops for young carers with Action for Children
- mosaic workshop with partially sighted children and adolescents with Action for Blind People
- church wall mosaic with the congregatation to celebrate 50 years of the church's foundation in Christ Church, Heworth, York
- mosaic , creative writing and textile projects with Mind dementia clients
- mosaic mirrors with special needs children
- mosaic after school club with disadvantaged mothers and children
- children's centres mosaic classes with children
- museum mosaic workshops with adults linking to Roman mosaic collection at Hull & East Riding museum
- exhibition of children's mosaics at Ferens City Gallery, Hull & Artlink Centre for Community Arts
- school mosaic workshops
- mosaic workshops in craft centres & village halls
- Action for Blind People
- Action for Children
- Artlink Centre for Community Arts, Hull
- Arts Council
- Big Lottery Fund
- British Heart Foundation
- English Heritage
- Ferens City Gallery, Hull
- Friends of Roman Aldborough
- Harrogate Borough Council
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- Hull and East Riding Museum
- Hull City Council
- Hull City of Culture 2017
- Hull Maritime Museum
- Leeds City Council
- Leonard Cheshire Disability
- NHS Hull Clinical Commissioning Group
- NHS Humber Hospital
- Orchard Park Children's Centre, Hull
- Renewable Energy Trust
- Scarborough Hospital
- Slough Children's Services Trust
- Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council
- Wakefield City Council
- Women's Institute
- York City Council
- York Hospital
- York University
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
I am a Professional Member of the British Association of Modern Mosaics (BAMM).
Check out my blog on Sue Kershaw, Mosaic Art
Mosaic Artist (York, North Yorkshire, UK)
Email Sue Kershaw Mosaics
Trafford Macmillan Care Centre entrance wall mosaic commission completed with clients
Trafford Macmillan Care Centre Hope mosaic commission in situ
Conservatory floor mosaic commission for private home
York Hospital mosaics in Outpatients Department Waiting Room
York Hospital mosaic in Outpatients Department Waiting Room
Lemon Tree Restaurant mosaic commission, Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire
The Rattle Owl restaurant mosaic commission, Micklegate, York
Private Bathroom Mosaic Commission
Marco Polo Italian Restaurant, Driffield floor entrance mosaic commission
James Hardie international mosaic commission to display Hardiebacker tiling board on Ecobuild stand at ExCel London Conference (reflecting client's marketing artwork)
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust mosaic commission for Dig In community garden in York
Mosaic lamp commission